Corrupted .wpd file
Ken Friedman
2004-03-06 20:39:52 UTC
I have a file that I created by exporting it from a scanning program and
saving the file as a WP file. I made many changes to the file and eventually
WP11 hung. I tried the "x" insert technique and running WPLOOK with no
success. I researched the problem using the Corel knowledge base and tried
the suggestions from the documents with no success. I also applied HP2
hoping that this would fix the problem -- no success.. Apparently there are
too many "undo"s in the file for WP11 to continue processing it. The file is
hopelessly corrupted.

This is the second time this has happened to me. IMHO, there is a serious
design flaw with WP that allows this to happen to files that have undergone
many changes and allows the number of Undos to keep processing. I just
wonder if MS word has this problem. Is there anything more I can do?

Thanks in advance.
Ken Friedman
joell haugan
2004-03-06 21:52:18 UTC
Post by Ken Friedman
[...]
What is the size of the file?
DOes WPLook hang on the file when processing it?
If not, what are the messages?
Have you tried extracting the text?
--
Joell Haugan -
Corel WPOffice/Presentations
http://www3.telus.net/jhaugan/presentations
Ken Friedman
2004-03-07 14:52:05 UTC
Post by joell haugan
Post by Ken Friedman
[...]
1.26 MB
Post by joell haugan
Does WPLook hang on the file when processing it?
It appears to process the but the log says the program is processing the
file with no message that says the processing is finished. I assume this is
normal.
Post by joell haugan
If not, what are the messages?
See answer to previous question.
Post by joell haugan
Have you tried extracting the text?
Yes but with unrecognizable results. the resulting file is unusable.
Ken Friedman
Chris D
2004-03-07 04:10:02 UTC
Ken,

WP only keeps as many undos as you permit. If in fact it is the problems
you describe, it is easily prevented. Edit / Undo/redo history / Options.

Files OCR'd from scanners tend to have a huge bunch of formatting codes,
many redundant. Have you tried to view the file in QuickView from WP10?
Thanks in advance.
Ken Friedman
2004-03-07 14:42:58 UTC
Chris,

Rather than fiighting the problem and using your suggestion to look at the
document weith WP10, I opened the document in WP10 and was able to complete
the editing with no problems. I am a pragmatic type and not willing to spend
a lot of time struggling with a problem that can be solved another way.

Thanks for your help.
--
Ken Friedman
Thanks in advance.
Ken Friedman
Thanks in advance.
lemoto
2004-03-07 17:10:24 UTC
Rather than . . . look[ing] at the
document weith WP10, I opened the document in WP10 and was able to complete
the editing with no problems.
Do I deduce that the document crashed WP11 but that WP10 edited it without
fuss?
Please: what Edit|Undo/Redo settings does each version have?
: does WP11 now handle the document as expected>
--
Good wishes!
Roy Lewis
C_Tech volunteer
Ken Friedman
2004-03-07 22:33:06 UTC
Post by lemoto
Rather than . . . look[ing] at the
document weith WP10, I opened the document in WP10 and was able to complete
the editing with no problems.
Do I deduce that the document crashed WP11 but that WP10 edited it without
fuss?
Please: what Edit|Undo/Redo settings does each version have?
: does WP11 now handle the document as expected>
--
Good wishes!
Roy Lewis
(UK)
C_Tech volunteer
Roy,
Post by lemoto
Do I deduce that the document crashed WP11 but that WP10 edited it without
fuss?
Yes.
Post by lemoto
Please: what Edit|Undo/Redo settings does each version have?
Number of Undo/Redo items:
WP10 - 10
WP11 - 5 (had been set to 10 but reduced to 5 trying to solve the
problem.)
Post by lemoto
: does WP11 now handle the document as expected>
Strangely but truly yes.
Ken Friedman
Chris D
2004-03-07 17:51:17 UTC
You mean you actually want to get some work done?? How quaint! :-)