WP11 and ISI Reference Manager
ellis
2003-09-26 15:32:40 UTC
Hi --

I was dismayed to learn that while Reference Manager, a product of ISI
ResearchSoft, which has supported WordPerfect up to version 10, as well
as Word, does not, and probably will not support WP11.

Is anyone at Corel aware of this, and is there any plan from the WP side
to remedy this problem?

I've submitted a technical report to Reference Manager, but from posts
on the net, I have reason to believe that this is a corporate decision,
rather than a glitch.

I've been a loyal WP user since 5.2 for DOS, but this issue will force
me to uninstall 11, reinstall WP10, and probably end my policy of
continuous and rapid upgrade. My colleagues at the University also are
affected by this problem, and will either have to downgrade, not upgrade
or switch to Word.

This is regretable, but no academic can function without a reference
manager tightly integrated into their word processor. Unfortunately, ISI
now owns all the popular reference managers, so there is nowhere else to
go. If anyone knows of a good reference manager which supports
Wordperfect 11, I'd certainly like to hear abou it.

Actually any info which resoloves this problem would be appreciated.

Ellis Golub
University of Pennsylvania
Re~Silient
2003-09-26 16:24:25 UTC
Ellis,
In June 2003 ISI Research released a new version of EndNotes 7 that did
support WPO11.... I would expect the same to occur with Reference Manager.
--
Re~Silient
WPO11SP1
ellis
2003-09-26 19:03:38 UTC
I hope so, and soon. I have a lot of writing to do!
ellis
2003-09-27 14:14:58 UTC
The following is snipped from the Adept Scientific Reference Manager
newsgroup Aug 21 2003:

Colin Gillies (Technical Support - Thomson ISI ResearchSoft)
The current shipping version of Reference Manager is not compatible
with wordperfect Office 11. We are currently looking at compatibility
issues, but have no public announcement to make, whether this will be
resolved with a patch or a new version. Be sure to register with us to
hear about any future Reference Manager updates.
Ellis,
In June 2003 ISI Research released a new version of EndNotes 7 that did
support WPO11.... I would expect the same to occur with Reference Manager.
Ellis Golub Phone: (215) 898-4629
Biochemistry Department FAX: (215) 898-3695
University of Pennsylvania ***@biochem.dental.upenn.edu
School of Dental Medicine
240 South 40th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6030
Home: http://biochem.dental.upenn.edu/~ellis/
PGP: http://biochem.dental.upenn.edu/~ellis/public_key.html
Jean-Etienne Poirrier
2003-11-16 22:47:53 UTC

I think it's more a ISI Research problem rather than a Corel one. Of
course, in the Office battle, Corel could help other software developers
to write software for Corel Wordperfect Office. But the feature existed
in every release of Reference Manager since the beginning. Why ISI
suddently stopped development for other word processors than Microsoft
one? I do not like the "conspiracy theory" (Microsoft paying ISI
Research to slow down development for other office suite) but ... This
message on the RIS mailing-list shows that ISI support service is rather
quick to answer and fix/solve problem with new Microsoft Office 2003 :

http://lists.adeptscience.co.uk/refman/refman_Nov_2003/thid_9e6fcf771218760ace14a7be1b661ccf.html

And, for Corel Wordperfect, we are still waiting ...

Jean-Etienne
Cliff Anderson
2003-11-17 00:57:24 UTC
Re: Reference Manager and WP11

I was having the same problem with ISI Res EndNote6 Program.

But from postings at this newsgroup under EndNote, I was able to see
that at least some people had gotten EndNote7 to work with WP11. So
Yesterday I ordered a copy online: the List price is $109 for a student
version, and I think about $180 for an educational version.

Others say Endnote7 will work... I hope so. It appears to me that ISI
Research needs some competition here, but I haven't found anything yet.

I did try something that worked as a temporary fix. I had on old version
of EndNote Version 2.20 that I installed on my XP. The 2.2 version
seemed to import my standard references file (about 4500 documents), but
it is mostly journal articles and book references. The Scan Paper
function from Endnote 2.2 would take my WP11 file and generate a new
file with references. It also changed the temporary references to a
permanent form. This didn't seem to change any of the equations,
tables, and cross references that I had in the file... that was good.
But this is a one directional process in Version 2.2... you can't go
back, so save the original before scanning. The "scan paper" function is
not in my Endnote 6 program.

Cliff Anderson
ellis
2004-01-02 06:31:51 UTC
I also switched to EndNote 7. It works well with WP11, and I was able
to transfer my database from Ref Manager to EndNote seamlessly. I think
I liked Ref Manager better than EndNote, but I can live with End Note.
I hope the next version of WP doesn't lose more funtionalality.